Thursday, December 18, 2008

Housesitting!

I have undertaken to look after a friend's house for the next couple of weeks or so, while he's away for the holidays. Beyond the usual snow-shovelling etc. type of tasks, this involves taking care of Benny, the resident four-year-old tomcat. So far, it's going fairly well. However, Benny, like most cats, has a bit of a personality. For example, here's a sample dialogue from yesterday:

  • Benny (pawing at back door handle): Lemme out! Lemme out! Lemme out! I want to go outside right now! Oh, why, why won't you let me go outside?
  • Chunklets (opening door): Out you go!
  • Benny: Hey, it's cold and snowy... no way am I going out there!
  • Chunklets (closing door): Ok then.
  • Benny (pawing at back door handle): Lemme out! Lemme out! Lemme out! I want to go outside right now! Oh, why, why won't you let me go outside?


For all that, though, he's a friendly fellow. He has perfected the feline trait of finding the spot on the bed that maximizes his comfort while minimizing mine, and then purring loudly about it. He also is quite fascinating with things moving under the covers. Feet, for example. Last night he pounced on mine from the top of the dresser as I was getting into bed. Anyway, he's a fun little cat.

2 comments:

Annie's Mom said...

Hurray! Benny sounds like an entirely acceptable kind of companion!!

And my word verification is cheesses. mmmmmmmmmm... cheesses...

Patrick C said...

Benny is quite excellent, especially now that he's settled down a little bit!